Student Life

Student Life

Home  >  Student Life  > Procedures regarding living in Japan

Procedures Regarding Living in Japan

Resident Registration

Resident registration should be carried out within 14 days upon entering Japan. You can register at the municipal office in your residential area. Be sure to take your resident card and passport.

National Health Insurance

National Health Insurance (NHI) is mandatory for international students. You should apply for NHI coverage immediately after your resident registration is completed. An insurance certificate will then be issued to you. With this certificate, you will only have to pay 30 % of your total medical expenses when going to see a doctor or when you are hospitalized. For example, please refer to the information below:

Example: If the medical treatment costs \10,000

\7,000 (70%) will be paid by NIH / \3,000 (30%) will be paid by you at a hospital or clinic.

Public Utilities

When you want to turn on gas, electricity and water services at your apartment, or if you need to register these services in your own name as a resident; even if they are already available, you have to contact each respective company and/or public office. Be sure to confirm which utility company you need to contact when you sign a rental contract. Below is a list of the major utility companies and public offices:

Utility Company/Office Phone number
Gas Tokyo Gas (Maebashi)
Kiryu Gas
Electricity Tokyo Electric Power Company (in Gunma) 0120-99-5221
Water Maebashi Water Department
Kiryu Water Department
Ota Water Department

Mobile (Cell) Phone Purchase & Subscription

You can subscribe for a mobile (cell) phone at any Softbank, AU, Docomo shops, etc., or at any major electronics retail shop.

Documents to verify your ID are necessary for a mobile phone subscription. (Necessary documents differ depending on each company.)

Internet Contract

You can apply for an Internet contract at any major electronics retail shop, as well as in computer and other related shops.

Necessary documents

  1. • Student ID
  2. • Certificate of Alien Registration or Certificate of National Health Insurance.

Hosting Program by MIA

A host family in this program does not refer to a family that you live with. Rather it refers to a family with whom you meet as an "extended family and/or friend in Japan" during your stay. If you would like to have a host family, you should file an application provided at the International Exchange Office. Maebashi International Association (MIA) organizes this type of hosting program.

With your host family, you will enjoy...

Various kinds of things such as having meals or going sightseeing, depending on each host family. You can also get advice about living in Japan or discuss about any personal problems or concerns that you may have with them.

Application for Certificates

The International Exchange Office issues these certificates indicated below. Since it takes a few days to issue any certificate, applications placed well in advance are preferable. In principle, an application should be filed in person.

Types of Certificates Main Purpose
• Certificate of Japanese Government Scholarship Extension of period of stay (visa), inviting student's family to Japan, etc. (applicable for Japanese Government-Scholarship students)
• Certificate of Salary for Japan-Korea Joint Program for Students in the Science & Engineering Departments Extension of period of stay (visa), inviting student's family to Japan, etc.,(applicable for the Japan-Korea Joint Program for Students in the Science & Engineering Departments)
• Certificate of JASSO Honors Scholarship for Privately Financed International Students Extension of period of stay (visa), inviting student's family to Japan, etc.,(applicable for students receiving an Honors Scholarship for Privately Financed International Students)


<Administrative offices that accept applications>